Tooth decay is a potential threat to one’s overall oral health, and can be a blemish on an otherwise beautiful smile. Fortunately, dental crowns can restore both health and beauty to the smile by restoring teeth that have suffered damage due to extensive tooth decay, or an injury. When the structure of a tooth has been compromised, if oral functions have become painful or difficult, or if the aesthetics of the smile have been diminished by a damaged tooth, Dr. Bruce E. Treiber offers his Canton patients porcelain crowns treatment. Porcelain crowns address all of these problems while offering patients a number of benefits unique to this dental treatment.
Porcelain crowns are often recommended for treatment of a tooth that is weak, structurally damaged, or significantly diminished cosmetically. Porcelain crowns are a popular treatment because they are practical and offer patients a number of additional benefits, including the following:
- Versatility: A porcelain crown encircles a tooth completely, By removing weak or damaged enamel and replacing it with this porcelain restoration, Dr. Treiber can address a wide range of dental problems, including tooth decay, a chipped or cracked tooth, and teeth with extreme cosmetic blemishes, including staining and discoloration.
- Renewed strength and function: Porcelain crowns replace damaged tooth enamel with a strong and durable composite material. This enhances the strength of the tooth and improves oral functions, such as eating, chewing, and speaking.
- Enhanced aesthetics: Not only do porcelain crowns eliminate cosmetic flaws, but they can further enhance the appearance of the tooth (and smile) by improving the size, color, or shape of the tooth. Each porcelain crown is custom-made, so it can be fabricated to the aesthetic specifications that will best suit each patient.
- Protection: Porcelain crowns protect treated teeth in two ways. First, by eliminating tooth decay and/or infection, Dr. Treiber is able to prevent the further decay of the tooth and any potential oral health problems this may cause, such as gum disease or tooth loss. Secondly, the porcelain crown encloses the tooth and blocks out harmful bacteria in order to aid in the prevention of future cases of decay or infection.
- Preservation: A porcelain crown restores a damaged tooth while preserving any healthy tooth enamel that remains. For many patients, a porcelain crown restores damaged teeth in order to prevent tooth loss or the need for tooth extraction.
- Ease of care: Many dental restorations require special care or particular hygienic upkeep. Porcelain crowns not only look and function like the natural teeth, but they can be cared for in the same way as well. With regular brushing and flossing, patients can ensure the health of the natural teeth and gums, and extend the lifespan of the porcelain crown.
- Convenience: One of the only downsides to porcelain crowns treatment is that it typically takes a minimum of two dental appointments. However, thanks to CAD/CAM technology, Dr. Treiber is able to fabricate porcelain crowns in-office while our patients wait, allowing the whole treatment to be completed in just a single appointment.
Schedule an Appointment
Whether your tooth has been injured or has suffered the effects of extensive tooth decay, it is likely that porcelain crowns treatment is right for you. If you have questions about this procedure, schedule an appointment to learn more. Dr. Bruce Treiber is happy to answer any questions you may have and let you know if you can take advantage of the benefits of porcelain crowns treatment.