Proper dental care is important at every age, but it's particularly important for teens that often indulge in sugary foods and drinks or may be prone to sports-related dental injuries. Restorative dentistry treatments from Dr. Bruce E. Treiber can help teens with dental damage enjoy renewed dental health and a restored smile.
Although treatments are available to repair dental damage, preventing problems with proper dental care for teens is preferred. Contact our Canton, OH practice to learn more about preventing dental damage with dental care options for teens. Now, let's take a moment to consider some useful dental care tips and treatments for teens.
Dental Care Tips to Protect Teen Smiles
It's important for teens to practice good dental care habits on a daily basis to protect the teeth and gums from oral health issues, like tooth decay and gum disease. The following tips are just a few ways teens can protect their smiles from dental damage and other oral health problems.
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks: It's common for teens to indulge in sugary foods and drinks, which can increase the risk of tooth decay. Teens should try to avoid sugary foods and drinks as much as possible to protect their smiles.
- Brush and floss regularly: Teens should be diligent about brushing and flossing their teeth. At a minimum, the teeth should be brushed for a full two minutes at least twice a day and the teeth should be flossed at least once a day.
- Wear a mouth guard when playing sports: Sports-related injuries are a common cause of teen tooth loss and dental damage. Wearing a mouth guard while playing sports can help prevent dental injuries in teens.
- Extra care is needed when wearing braces: Teens who wear braces should take extra precautions in caring for their teeth. This is because food can collect around the braces, increasing the risk of stains or decay. Carefully brushing after meals can help remove food stuck around the braces and protect the teeth from damage.
Dental Care Treatments for Teens
Professional dental care can help prevent and treat dental damage in teens. Some common treatments for teens include:
- Regular dental exams and cleanings: Preventative dental care is one of the best ways to protect oral health in teens. Teens should undergo a regular dental exam and cleaning every six months to keep the teeth and gums at their best.
- Dental sealants: Dental sealants can be applied to the teeth to prevent tooth decay by protecting the enamel from bacteria and acids, making them a great preventative treatment for teens.
- Dental crowns: A dental crown is a hollow, artificial tooth that encases a damaged tooth to restore strength and dental function. Teens who have experienced dental damage from a sports-related injury, trauma, or decay, may benefit from dental crowns.
- Tooth-colored fillings: Tooth-colored fillings offer an aesthetically pleasing option for treating dental cavities, making them a great option for restoring dental health in teens.
- Orthodontics: Teens who are unhappy with the appearance of crooked teeth or suffer from bite alignment issues may make excellent candidates for orthodontic treatment.
Find out Which Treatments Are Right for You
For more dental care tips for teens, or to find out which treatments are right for you, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Treiber.